Isaiah’s Pumpkin Muffins With Crumble Topping
If you make these muffins around the holidays, stir a handful of dried cranberries or 1/4 cup chopped walnuts into the batter. You can also make pumpkin muffin tops with this recipe — just use a muffin-top pan and bake for about 10 minutes.
1/4 cup store-bought gluten-free flour blend
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
4 tablespoons all-vegetable shortening
Confectioners’ sugar, for sprinkling
1 3/4 cups store-bought gluten-free flour blend
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup canned pure pumpkin puree
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
2. Prepare the crumble topping. Whisk together the flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar and pumpkin pie spice in a medium bowl. Add the shortening and, using your fingers or a fork, blend together until coarse crumbs form.
3. To make the muffins: Whisk together the flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice and salt in a large bowl.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, pumpkin puree, granulated sugar, oil and vanilla until smooth. Add to the flour mixture; stir until just combined.
5. Fill each muffin cup almost full; top each with crumble topping. Bake until the muffins are springy to the touch and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool in the pan, set on a wire rack. Using a sieve, sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar.
Yield: 12 muffins.