Apricot Oatmeal Chews
Recipe by Linda Cross
Preparation time: 25 to 30 minutes
Cooking time: 12 minutes
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup nut-free dried apricots
- 1/2 cup dairy-free margarine, room temperature
- 2/3 cup firmly packed pure cane dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup pure cane sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil, 2 tablespoons water, and 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder, mixed together
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Spread oats in a single layer on a shallow baking pan or rimmed cookie sheet. Turn on oven to 350 degrees F and place baking pan in oven for about 10 to 15 minutes or until oats are lightly toasted, stirring once during cooking time. Remove oats from baking pan and let cool in a separate bowl for 5 minutes.
While oats are toasting, chop dried apricots; set aside. Cream margarine and sugars together in a large mixing bowl. Add flour, oil/water/baking powder mixture, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg; mix well. Add chopped apricots and toasted oats; mix well.
Form dough into 1-1/4-inch balls and place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for about 12 minutes or until outer edges are set but cookies are still quite soft. Cool cookies on cookie sheets for 2 to 4 minutes and then remove to wire racks to cool completely.
Makes about 44 (2-1/4-inch diameter) cookies