This is a good low cal soup, but for us it was a bit thin despite having been blended. I ended up adding 2 cups of lentils to the soup to make it a bit heartier. I also thought the taste was a bit bland so experiment with your spices on this one.
Quick Black Bean Soup
Originally published in YOU: On a Diet, Revised Edition, by Michael Roizen, MD, and Mehmet Oz, MD
(per serving) 1 c
- 1 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 stalk(s) celery, chopped
- 2 quart(s) (8 cups) low salt vegetable stock or broth
- 2 can(s) (15 or 16 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon(s) ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon(s) balsamic vinegar
- 1 bunch(es) cilantro leaves, chopped
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic, carrot and celery; cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add stock, beans, coriander and cayenne pepper; simmer uncovered 10 minutes.
- Stir in vinegar. Transfer to blender or food processor; process to desired consistency.
- Reheat if necessary. Ladle into shallow bowls; garnish with cilantro.