I Must Love Me Too

If you have neglected yourself,
make a sincere apology to thee.
Gather the "love-me-not-petals" of your life
and start counting "I-must-love-me-too".
In no time at all you have
a beautiful flower blossom within you. ~ Dodinsky Writings

Friday, November 5, 2010

Clean Beans


I love baked beans and even more so I love using my crock pot. Throwing things into a pot and ending up with a delicious meal is my kind of cooking! Plus you usually end up with a wonderful smelling aroma floating through your house all day. This recipe is easy to make, nutritious and tastes wonderful! I made this without meat but if you’d like a meatier version just add in some cooked pieces of pork and bake as normal.

Ingredients:

  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 1 cup diced peppers (I used red, yellow and green peppers)
  • 3 15 oz cans no salt added white beans, drained and rinsed (I used pinto beans)
  • 6 oz can tomato paste
  • 1/2 cup brown rice syrup
  • 1/4 cup unsulphured molasses
  • 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
  • 1 tbsp olive oil

Preparation for crock pot:

  1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet on medium high heat. Add in onions and peppers and saute about 10 minutes.

  2. Saute the onions and peppers

  3. Transfer the onion and peppers to the crock pot and add remaining ingredients.

  4. Mix ingredients well

  5. Stir well and set crock pot to high and cook for 4 hours.

Preparation for oven:

  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees
  2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet on medium high heat. Add in onions and peppers and saute about 10 minutes.
  3. Transfer onions and pepper to a large bowl. Add in all the other ingredients and mix well.
  4. Transfer mixture to a 9 x 13 glass plan and bake for 3-4 hours.

Nutritional Info:

Makes 12 serving.

Nutrients per serving: Calories: 190, Cal. from Fat: 10, Total Fat: 1g, Sat. Fat: 0g, Carbs: 26.5g, Fiber: 6.5g, Sugars: 11g, Protein: 7g, Sodium: 43mg, Chol: 0mg

Notes:

I love baked beans and the addition of the peppers added a delicious tang to the recipe. I used my crock pot to make the beans and they were saucy and tender. If you bake them in the oven they get a bit drier and the beans are more firm. Which ever way you choose to make them they are fantastic!


SOURCE: http://thejoyofcleaneating.com/recipes/clean-eating-baked-beans/