I Must Love Me Too

If you have neglected yourself,
make a sincere apology to thee.
Gather the "love-me-not-petals" of your life
and start counting "I-must-love-me-too".
In no time at all you have
a beautiful flower blossom within you. ~ Dodinsky Writings

Friday, May 20, 2011

Veggie Meatballs

Veggie Meatballs

1 lb lean ground turkey
1 lb lean ground beef
1 large onion
1 large zucchini
6 cloves chopped garlic, grated
2 egg, beaten
1 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
1 TBSP Italian seasoning
1 TBSP grated Parmesan
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp MDP's seasoning
1 c bread crumbs

Heat oven to 400 degrees.

Cut onion and zucchini into large chunks and place in a food processor. Run on high until very finely chopped.
Mix veggies and remaining ingredients together until combined (I take my ring off and mush it up good with my hands or give it a good few rounds in the kitchenaid).

Form meatballs of desired size. I use an ice cream scoop for dinner size meatballs, and a melon baller to make appetizer/soup size.

Use a broiler pan (I just put a baking rack over a baking sheet or roasting pan) and spray the top rack with cooking spray. Place formed meatballs on sheet making sure they are at least 1/2".

Roast meatballs until they are well browned. Time will vary on oven and meatball size, but I find anywhere from 20-45 minutes.

Place in a crockpot with your favorite marinara sauce. To bump up the nutrition stats with a jar of sauce, throw a couple shredded carrots in. Cook 4-6 hours on low to set the sauce absorb.

You can also finish cooking them in a pot of hot sauce. Add meatballs to warmed sauce and cook 30-45 minutes on medium-low heat.

This makes 100 3/4" mini meatballs, or 25 regular 1 1/2" meatballs.

Stats each ball: (made with 85/15 turkey and pork, and homemade breadcrumbs)
Mini:
27 calories
1 carb
2 fat
2 protein
0 fiber
25 sodium

Regular:
108 calories
4 carbs
8 fat
8 protein
0 fiber
100 sodium