1/2-3/4 cup chopped onion (1-2 onions)
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 tablespoon curry paste (levelled tbsp, preferably Madras, Korma or another Indian or Caribbean curry paste you like)
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger (levelled tbsp)
4 cups peeled and cubed sweet potatoes (not yams)
1 red bell pepper, deseeded and chopped
3 1/2 cups chicken stock or 3 1/2 cups vegetable stock
2 tablespoons rum (optional but recommended, I use white rum)
recommended topping4 -6 tablespoons sour cream (any fat content)
Prep Time: 15 mins
Total Time: 30 mins
- In a soup pot, heat oil over medium-low heat. Add curry paste and onions and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat if necessary. Add garlic clove and ginger and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes and pepper. Mix. Add stock. Cook for 15 minutes or until vegetables are very soft.
- Puree the ingredients in batches in a blender or puree the whole amount directly in the pot with a hand blender (if pot is high enough).
- Check if you like the consistency of the soup. Add more stock or water if desired and adjust the seasonings (check if salt is needed). You can add more curry paste if desired, but most pastes need to be cooked first before adding to a dish. Add rum if using.
- Serve in individual bowls and top each with a tablespoon of sour cream and a sprinkle of sweet paprika.
Serving Size: 1 (279 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 278.6
- Calories from Fat 76
- Total Fat 8.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat 2.7 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 2.4 g
- Trans Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 12.5 mg
- Sodium 385.4 mg
- Potassium 786.9 mg
- Magnesium 49.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 11.4 g
- Protein 8.2 g