Slow Cooker Chicken and Vegetable Soup
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 8 hours
- 1 large russet potato (about 14 to 16 ounces)
- 1 medium brown onion
- 1 stalk celery
- 3/4 cup peeled baby-cut carrots
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced and peeled tomatoes in tomato juice, not drained
- 1 (8.5 ounce) can “no salt added” whole kernel corn, not drained
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans dairy- and egg-free fat-free reduced-sodium chicken broth (3-1/2 cups broth)
- 2 tablespoons dairy- and egg-free Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Peel potato and chop into small pieces. Peel and chop onion. Thinly slice celery. Slice carrots into thin rounds. Place prepared potato, onion, celery, and carrots into a 5-quart slow cooker.
Trim fat off of chicken and then cut chicken into approximately 1-inch pieces; place on top of vegetables in slow cooker. Pour canned tomatoes and corn, with their liquids, on top of chicken.
Pour about 1 cup of chicken broth into a small bowl or measuring cup. Add mustard, paprika, garlic salt, sage, and pepper; mix well. Add this seasoned broth, as well as the remaining broth, to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low heat setting for 8 hours.
Makes 7 servings (about 1-1/3 cups each)