Here is my version:
- 1/2 pound raw turkey Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 1/4 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cups onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cans (15 oz) no salt added cannellini beans or a mix of white and light kidney beans
- 1 can (28 oz) fire roasted no salt added tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups homemade veggie broth
- 2 1/2 cups gluten free pasta (whatever you have on hand)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- shredded Parmesan cheese (I omit since I haven't found any non-dairy, non-soy alternatives as yet)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add onions and garlic and saute until softened.
- Add sausage and cook until browned. My sausage was already browned so I simply added it to the onions and garlic after they were cooked and heated the sausage for about 2 minutes.
- In your crock pot add sausage mixture, carrot, celery, herbs, tomatoes, water and stock. Add salt and pepper to taste. Do NOT add the pasta.
- Cook for 6 – 8 hours on low or 4 – 6 hours on high.
- When ready to serve add the pasta and top with shredded Parmesan cheese.
Makes 10 servings.
Serving size 1 1/2 cups.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 214.5, Cal. from Fat: 26, Total Fat: 7.5g, Sat. Fat: 2g, Carbs: 25g, Fiber: 5.5g, Sugars: 3g, Protein: 10.5g, Sodium: 93mg, Chol: 18mg
This soup stores really well in the freezer and is a breeze to reheat and serve. Place any of the unused servings in a freezer safe container and place in the freezer. You can either add the pasta to the soup before freezing or keep it separate. Thaw before use and reheat in a glass container in the microwave for 2-3 minutes on high.
To make this soup on the stove top follow instructions 1 and 2 then add all of the remaining ingredients (except pasta) to the pot. Simmer on medium low heat for 45 minutes. Garnish with pasta and Parmesan cheese and ENJOY!