I Must Love Me Too

If you have neglected yourself,
make a sincere apology to thee.
Gather the "love-me-not-petals" of your life
and start counting "I-must-love-me-too".
In no time at all you have
a beautiful flower blossom within you. ~ Dodinsky Writings

Friday, April 24, 2009

Low Calorie Candy Treats

Candyland

by Richard Simmons



"Let me call you sweetheart,

"I'm in love with you … !"

Sure, I could sing that song to you, but this time I was crooning to a candy bar! I may be middle-aged, but I believe you never outgrow your love of candy! But do I have to tell you what sugary treats can do to your weight? I didn't think so.

Still, it is Valentine's Day month, after all, and I think we're entitled to give in to our candy craving a teeny bit! I won't lie to you - candy isn't the most nutritious food you can eat. But we all need a tiny splurge once in a while to help us stick to our food plan! As song as we don't go overboard, it's perfectly fine to indulge, in small amounts, every now and then.

Like with every other food, though, some candy will "cost" you more, fat- and calories-wise, than others. Here are my handy charts to help you make the best choices:

25-Calorie Treats

1 chocolate Hershey's Kiss

4 gumdrops

1 lollipop

6 jellybeans

1 piece Bazooka bubble-gum

2 Life Savers

5 Gummi Bears

1 large marshmallow

Other Not-So-Bad-For-You Candy

Candy -----------------Amount---------Fat Grams---------Calories

Strawberry Twizzlers - 1 oz---------1-----------------100

Candy corn--------------1 oz---------0.6---------------100

Butterscotch candy-----1 oz---------1------------------110

Crystallized ginger------1 oz---------0-----------------95

Tootsie Rolls------------1.4oz--------4-----------------160

And don't forget about these other sweet treats …

Freeze some grapes or a peeled banana. Voilà! You've got an instant low-cal ice pop!

Fat-free hot cocoa can be as little as 25 calories a cup, with no fat.

1/4 cup of raisins has about 100 calories and practically no fat.

10 dried-apricot halves contain no fat and only about 85 calories.

1 caramel-flavored rice cake has 50 calories and no fat.