START TO FINISH: 25 MINUTES
This versatile recipe tastes even better the second day. To add a bit of fire, use hot sausage and replace the shredded cheese with grated pepper jack. For even more zip, stir in a small can of chopped green chilies.
3 cups (12 ounces) dried elbow pasta or 3-4 cups (8-10 ounces) other short pasta, uncooked
3-4 hot or mild chicken, turkey or pork sausages
1½ cups frozen corn
1 cup gluten-free, dairy-free chicken stock
2½ cups shredded nacho/taco cheese or dairy-free cheese substitute, divided
1. Lightly oil a deep ovenproof dish (7½x11-inch, 9x13-inch, 9-inch round).
2. Cook pasta in salted water for half the time specified on package. Pasta should be undercooked (slightly opaque but not brittle). Drain and transfer to prepared baking dish.
3. While pasta is cooking, remove sausage from its casing and crumble into a well-oiled saucepan. Sauté meat until brown. Add corn, stirring to combine.
4. Using a wooden spoon, gently fold meat mixture into pasta.
5. Heat chicken stock in the saucepan until hot but not boiling. Remove from heat and add 2 cups cheese. Stir until smooth and pour over pasta. Gently toss to coat.
6. Top mixture with remaining cheese. Cover dish with moist paper towel and microwave on medium-high for 5 minutes or until bubbly.
Each serving contains 431 calories, 12g total fat, 5g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 44mg cholesterol, 683mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate, 5g fiber, 20g protein.
I like "We Can't Say It's Cheese." http://www.cosmosveganshoppe.com/store/WCSIC.html